Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Integrated Unit Reflection

I am so glad the integrated unit is done!
What a relief!
I had fun creating it, but the work that went into it was overwhelming. Besides coming up with a creative idea for the unit, making sure to include all the necessary components of a good inquiry was challenging! Not only did we have to worry about engagement, we had to struggle to create meaningful tasks amids the abstract curriculum of Pure Math 30.
Coming up with a solid idea was the most challenging. We had to return to the drawing board quite a few times throughout the process. The most common challenge we faced was "Are we using technology effectively, or are we just putting it in because we feel like it?" We had to stop and re-evaluate this step quite often. We also had to ensure that we didn't complicate things too much. Two different creative math teachers. Two different teaching styles. Two different visions. Combining the ideas coherently was at times challenging. Both Reneeta and I were often left playing the role of Devil's Advocate to ensure that we were able to bring our visions to life.
The most important thing I learned through doing this integrated unit was the constant need to step away from the project, reflect on what you have created so far and critically evaluate your process. The Galileo inquiry rubric was great for this. I feel there are still some areas where we could improve the project given more time and a test audience. I would like to create a final task with more of a "Real world' connection, and somehow bring in experts to talk to the students.... Realistically, I'm not sure how I would do that though. The subject matter that we chose to deal with makes it a little bit more tricky.
Our focus was on allowing students to explore the subject matter through as many venues as possible. They got to see the mathematical explanations in the interactive lessons, practice the mathematical application in the investigative assignments, and show off their conceptual knowledge with the creative scrapbook tasks.
It was fun creating the project... but it took a lot of work. I chose to create the website for this task... which presented a whole new challenge in itself. At times I was frustrated with the technology, at times I wanted to give up, but looking at the final product, I am proud to say that I was able to bring (part of) my vision to life. If I could, I would have created animations and mini-clips to support each station and incorporate the theme of Amazing race more.... But my technological knowledge is just not there yet. I think we did fine with what we had to work with. I am very proud of this production.

No comments:

Post a Comment