Monday, January 19, 2009

Introduction

What do you know and like to do with technology?

I enjoy using technology quite a bit. My favorite thing about it is probably using it as a tool of keeping in touch with friends and family.
I use the Internet quite a bit for research whether it be personal or school related. There is a lot of information out there, and its very interesting to see what everyone else has come up with. I used search engines a lot during my undergrad, whether it was for looking up definitions of terms, examples, and even for further exploration of key concepts.

What do you want to learn about inquiry and ICT?

I want to learn how to use technology effectively in the classroom. Specifically in accordance with the mathematics curriculum. I know there are many wonderful calculator programs out there, but resources and often scarce, and not all school have access to them. I am looking to learn about alternate methods for incorporating technology into the classroom. Whether it be via Smartboard, Wikis, Blogs, Graphing programs, etc. I think mathematics is one of the more difficult subject areas to incorporate technology... which is surprising since just about all technology uses mathematics in some form.
I am also quite intrigued by what inquiry looks like in math. Especially in higher levels, where most of the concepts are quite abstract. There is this huge push for inquiry all across the curriculum, but up until this point, most of the inquiry I have experienced and seen has been for the humanities side of the program of studies. I'm quite confused as to what inquiry looks like in math, and would love to take a deeper look at it, and find ways to incorporate it into my everyday classroom practice.

What questions do you have about inquiry, technology and culture.


Even though we have been talking about inquiry all throughout this MT program, the concept of inquiry still seems a little fuzzy for me at times. My main concern is how to gauge understanding and how much is actually being learned by the students within such an inquiry based environment. In this program, there is no need to assign grades, but in the classroom, grades are extremely important to some kids. How can we assess inquiry? I think that is probably one of my biggest concerns.

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo - it totally captures how I feel right now.

    ReplyDelete